Thursday, December 10, 2009

Blogging as sleep therapy...

I have this problem with sleeping. The problem being that I can't fall asleep for weeks at a time. Then, I'll sleep GREAT for a week! Just when I think I've learned how to fall asleep again, the cycle starts all over.

I lay there in bed trying every technique in the book - deep breathing, clearing my mind, ear plugs, covers over my head - and I'm wide awake no matter how tired I was when I got into bed.

On nights when I give up on these techniques, I compose blog posts in my head. They are elegant, thoughtful and even witty. As a matter of fact, I've definitely composed this post in my head more than once. I tried once or twice to get up and start typing, but that only made me more awake.

In the morning, the words don't flow as eloquently as they did in my head the night before. I wind up deleting them before they are finished or with a bunch of horribly half written drafts waiting to be taken out of their misery.

I even thought about moving my laptop into the bedroom, but my hubby wasn't keen on that idea. The bedroom is not the place for a computer. Didn't want to risk the temptation of checking Twitter while...ummm...other bedroom activities might be happening. Not that I would actually do that, but it's a funny mental image and a valid request, so I agreed - no laptop in the bedroom.

Anyway...

I compose all these blog posts in my head and they actually help me fall asleep! The only problem is I feel like I post much more often than I actually do anymore. I randomly open my blog and realize it's been over a week since I posted anything.

Have no fear my friends, I have not dropped off the face of the planet...I'm just blogging myself to sleep...

1 comment :

Sonya said...

you are so funny!! I get some of my twitter updates on my phone and my husband HATES that. Because they go off at all the wrong times. :) I know what you mean about composing things in your head and then realizing later that you didn't actually post them. I have been doing that quite a bit lately myself. I have even taken to getting a notebook and trying to write them down. doesn't always work as planned though.