Wednesday, March 20, 2013

46 Days of Gratefulness - Week 5

I realized this week that there are actually 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Holy Saturday. I never actually counted and you always hear that there are 40 days of Lent. After a little research, apparently this is how the 40 days comes about: Since the original disciples were Jewish, they were raised to hold the Sabbath as a day of rest and worship. Though the early Christians changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday (to celebrate Christ's Resurrection on a Sunday), they still upheld this idea. So there was no fasting or repenting on Sundays during Lent. And if you leave the Sundays out of that 46 day period, you get 40 days!

So, I learned something! But since I've already been including Sundays for Weeks 1, 2, 3 and 4, I'm just going to turn 40 Days of Gratefulness into 46 Days of Gratefulness. And I don't think it hurts to be grateful for 6 extra days. So here's Week 5:

Day 29
I am grateful for the opportunities I've had to travel and see not only the country, but the world.

Day 30
I am grateful for the opportunity to watch longstanding friendships continue through the next generation.

Day 31
Despite the problems within our government, I am grateful to live in a country where, as a woman, I have the right to vote, drive and pursue higher education. I am grateful that I have many basic rights and freedoms that are not afforded to many people in this world.

Day 32
I am grateful for time spent together, as a family, in the kitchen. I am grateful to have time to be beside and work with my husband and daughter to create something, both teaching and learning from each other.

Day 33
I am grateful for the amazing entity that the mind is. I love how a drive down a certain road, or a particular song, or specific scent can instantly send memories flooding back to you that you would not otherwise recall.

Day 34
I am grateful for the fire in my heart recently - to do, to learn, to give and to love.

Day 35
I'm grateful for all the sparkle in my life because everyone needs a little sparkle.

No comments :