Wednesday, February 27, 2013

40 Days of Gratefulness - Week 2

My 40 Days of Gratefulness continues with Week 2. I don't think I did as well representing each day with a photograph this week as I did last week, but I did the best I could. And the reflection part is really more important than the photograph.

Day 8
We got up this morning and, beaming, Audrey asked me, "Mommy, you got surprise for me?" I said, "No, hunny. I'm sorry. No surprise this morning." And she responded, "Yeah you do! We gonna make blueberry muffins together!" Apparently, the surprise is for Mommy. 
Today I am grateful that I have the opportunity to stay at home with my daughter and make blueberry muffins together in the morning if we want to. It isn't always easy. It is challenging and frustrating and a test of my patience daily. We make lots of personal sacrifices so that I can be with her. But I am grateful every moment for the quality time I get to spend with her and for all she teaches me about life. I do not take for granted that this opportunity is simply not an option for some people.

Day 9
There is an old saying that "It takes a village to raise a child." Today I am grateful that the village surrounding me my whole life has always been one filled with love and support and encouragement. I am even more grateful that the same village that surrounded me, surrounds Audrey also.

Day 10
I am grateful today to not only have food to eat, but to have healthy, nutritious foods available to me at all times. Reflecting on this today, I am especially mindful that so many in this world go hungry and that I am blessed to not have to worry about how I am going to feed my family every day.

Day 11
Today I am grateful for my camera, for all I have learned about photography, and for the priceless memories I have been able to capture. Children grow and change in the blink of an eye, and I have so many beautiful photographs that can transport me back to the funny face she would make waking up as a newborn, to the expression on her face when she found her feet for the first time, or to just how tiny she used to be. These memories fade and soften in our minds over time, but the photographs will forever take us back to what we saw and felt in that moment.

Day 12
Today I am grateful for laughter. For a night out laughing with friends, to laugh with them, at them and at myself. I am grateful for the release of stress and worry, and the healing that laughter provides. I am grateful for the joy that radiates from the laughter of a child.

Day 13
I am grateful for the internet and the limitless resources, ideas and inspiration it provides. I am grateful that it helps me be a teacher to my daughter, as well as a mom.

Day 14
I am grateful today that technology allows me to see this sweet face, even from over 400 miles away. I am grateful that it allows me to watch my nephew grow, and to have a relationship with him that the phone alone would not.

No comments :