Wednesday, February 20, 2013

40 Days of Gratefulness - Week 1

Last week I talked about how what I was going to give up for Lent was going to be a little bit different this year. Instead of giving up my usual rotation of either caffeine, chocolate, a favorite food, or Facebook for Lent this year, I decided to dig a little bit deeper. It is incredibly easy for me to get caught up in the schedule and chaos of my every day life, and to forget to look around and appreciate my many blessings. This year, I decided to give up the complacency that settles so easily into my life when I'm not paying attention. To do this, I committed myself to really appreciating and reflecting on one blessing in my life, every day, for 40 days, and challenged myself to take one photo to represent each blessing in some way. The result: 40 Days of Gratefulness.

Here is a look at Week 1:
Day 1
Today I am grateful for true friendship. Whether it is sitting down to chat with a cup of tea and a friend who lives close by, or a 45 minute phone date with someone who lives on the other side of the state, I am blessed with a handful of true friends. I know that despite the changes in our lives or our busy schedules, they are always there with an open mind and an open heart. Their love and support is not something to take for granted.

Day 2
Today I am grateful for small acts of love. They may not happen as often or with as much passion as they did in the beginning, but something as simple as a bouquet of flowers to say, "I love you and appreciate you," is something to be grateful for.

Day 3
Today I am grateful that I am able to see the world through the eyes of my daughter. Her love, excitement and appreciation for the things she discovers around her are a constant reminder for me to pay attention to and appreciate the world around me as well.

Day 4
I am grateful for the comfort of my bed. A warm, soft, safe place to snuggle up and rest at night, or to recuperate when I'm not feeling well. A luxury not afforded to everyone.

Day 5
I am grateful for my Sunday morning yoga class, for the strength it is helping me build - body, mind and spirit. I am appreciative of the small amount of time to myself, to let go of the stress of the previous week, and to start the new week fresh and with a clear mind and heart.

Day 6
Today I am grateful for bacon. No further explanation necessary.

Day 7
Today I am grateful for a restful night of sleep for all of us! Audrey slept in her big girl bed from 8:30 pm until 6 am! I know we are responsible for her bad sleep habits, but I am grateful that we are slowly correcting them and that peaceful, restful SLEEP is the result!

No comments :