Sunday, February 12, 2012

A day at the museum

Mass MoCA is the largest center for contemporary arts in the United States. Not only is it a really cool place to visit, but it also holds a special place in my heart because I worked there in high school with my two best friends, April and Kristen.

Yesterday was the museum's annual Free Day, so my hubby and I took the opportunity to introduce Audrey to Mass MoCA for the first time. I didn't realize it until we got there, but my husband had never been inside the galleries either! I hadn't been inside in years, so it was quite a treat despite the many people taking advantage of the day!

They had lots of activities going on, but we just wandered around on our own. I only brought my point and shoot with me, but we did get a few pictures of our fun afternoon. When we were in an area that wasn't too crowded, we let Audrey walk around. She seemed to really like it and she was very good about not touching anything.

Daddy and Audrey in front of Nari Ward's Nu Colossus

This was my favorite! So cool!

Audrey exploring Nari Ward's Mango Tourists


Sanford Biggers' The Cartographer's Conundrum

Audrey was more interested in her shadow

than she was this exhibit.



By far, Audrey's favorite

was Sol Lewitt's

A Wall Drawing Retrospective.

Pretty colors, Mommy!

Natalie Jeremijenko's Tree Logic has been there since I worked there,
and I've always loved the upside down trees!


There were, of course, some things I didn't care for, but all-in-all it was a fun afternoon for all three of us! Just walking around in the buildings and tunnels of the former Sprague Electric company complex, that is now Mass MoCA, is so interesting and full of history. Thank you Mass MoCA for Free Day!

No comments :