Friday, November 1, 2013

Happy Halloween!

I was never really into Halloween growing up. I was much too serious a child! But something about having a child of my own got me excited about it. Audrey is at the stage now where she loves to pretend, so we've been looking forward to Halloween for months. Unfortunately, it was raining and miserable out, but we got our umbrella and braved the weather to still have a great time!

One of Audrey's favorite things to play outside is Little Red Riding Hood. So it was pretty obvious what this year's costume was going to be when I asked her!

I made her costume myself. The pattern for the hooded cape came from Fleece Fun. This was my most difficult sewing project to date and I was a little nervous. Usually my projects involve me winging it and coming up with something on my own, not using an actual pattern. I've never sewed with fleece before and lining the hood was a little bit tricky, but it wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be and I was thrilled with how it came out.

The tutu I made just like all the other tutus I make her and with the apron I stuck to my typical sewing style and winged it. I used the same fabric for the apron as I used to line the inside of the hood and it really brought everything together.


Add a white shirt, tights and socks, cute shoes, and a little basket, and the costume was too adorable for words!


The best part of playing Little Red Riding Hood is the interaction. So I, of course, had to make this a family theme. Daddy fit the part of the Big Bad Wolf perfectly! So I made him a quick and easy wolf costume that he was comfortable wearing around and not taking too much attention away from Audrey.

And to pull it all together, I had to be Grandma obviously!

We had so much fun despite the rain! We knocked on a few doors, got a little candy, visited some family, and sat by a fire to warm up and dry off.


As soon as we walked in the door at 7:15 pm, the costume came off and Audrey said, "Mommy, I'm ready to go up to bed now." So that was that for this year! And now the planning for next year will have to begin because it is going to take some work to top this year!

1 comment :

Sonya said...

she looks absolutely adorable! You did an amazing job on her costume!