Thursday, February 28, 2013

Audrey - 26 months

Audrey,

You are such a big girl now. We converted your crib to a toddler bed this month and you did very well in the transition. We took the rocking chair out of your room completely and I think this has made a huge difference in the quality of sleep you get. We had a horrible habit of still rocking you to sleep at night, and I think you woke up in the night and needed that rocking motion to fall back to sleep. Now, we read your story with you tucked right into bed. You've been sleeping fairly consistently from between 7:30 and 8 at night to anywhere between 3 and 5:30 in the morning. If it is 3 or 4 in the morning, you will sometimes fall back to sleep on your own, or you may call for Mommy, but with a quick and gentle reassurance, you fall back to sleep. If you make it to 5 or 5:30 am, we'll usually let you into our bed and you'll sleep until 6:30 or 7. Nap time is sporadic. Some days you nap great and other days you don't nap at all. Overall though, your sleep habits are greatly improved, and we're all reaping the rewards of more, more restful sleep. 

I think I also feel safe pronouncing you "officially potty trained!" You did so well and had very few accidents. I am still putting a diaper on you at nap time and bed time, but you always wake up dry from each, so I may stop that soon. You have had the very rare, occasional accident, but it seems like those happen when you are acting out and trying to get our attention.

Speaking of acting out, you are the epitome of the "Terrible Twos" right now. I know it is a completely normal phase, but boy-oh-boy is it frustrating! "It. Not. Fair!" is one of your favorite phrases, and comes in the sternest voice with your hands on your hips. I don't know where you learned it, but it is either hilarious or outraging depending on the number of times I've heard it that day.

On the flip side, you are also incredibly sweet. You often say, "I love you, too, Mommy," and "You my best friend in the whole wide world." And they both melt Mommy's heart every single time. 
Your vocabulary continues to expand and I don't know where you come up with half the things you say. You say "popcorn" like you're from South Boston and I love it! It's like you know where you were born despite the fact that we don't live there anymore and neither your father or I have Boston accents. When you're thirsty you say, "I need some sip a water." Not "I need some water," or "I need a sip of water." It's really, really cute.


Your last two molars finally broke through your gums and have really been bothering you. But - HALLELUJAH! - we're almost done with teething! I think we'll both be happy to leave this phase of your life behind us.

We've started going to the library's toddler play group and story time every week now. You were shy at first, but now you love singing and dancing and playing with the other kids. It makes Mommy proud to see you socializing and I think once this group becomes more routine, we'll add another play group into the mix as well.


You are challenging me more than ever, sweet girl, but Mommy is working on her patience and I think we're going to get through this just fine. I'm just praying that 3 isn't worse than 2 like everyone says it is.

I love you more than my heart can contain, and even though you clearly aren't a baby anymore, you'll always be my baby!

Love always,
Mommy


No comments :