Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti

I have been blessed twice in my life to have the opportunity to spend 3 weeks in the mountains of Haiti doing missionary work. The first time I went was in June of 1998, the summer after my freshman year in high school. Though the preparations for the trip were extensive, they didn't even come close to preparing me for an experience that would change my life.

In the eyes of the world, Haitians have nothing. But while they do live in poverty, they have much more than any of us could even imagine. That first trip, I went to Haiti thinking I would be able to help them. I left there having been given much more than I gave.

The people of Haiti taught me more about faith, happiness and community in a few weeks than I could have learned here in the US in my entire life.

And so tonight, the people of Haiti are weighing heavy on my heart.

Please pray for the people of Haiti during this horrific time. Economically, times are difficult for all of us. But we are blessed in so many ways. If you feel led to give a donation, however big or small, it will make a difference. The director of the group that I went to Haiti with, Sister Eunice Tassone, has been going to Haiti since 1984. She has many connections in Haiti and if you want to make a donation to an organization that you can feel comfortable that 100% of your money will go to the Haitian people, please consider sending your donation to COTY.

Donations can be sent to:
COTY / Haiti EQR
P.O. Box 745
North Adams, MA 01247

Sister Eunice Tassone will work with Janet Bauman, Director of Save the Children who is a personal friend of hers and who can work miracles in disasters such as this.

If you can give just $5, great! If all you can give is a prayer, that's great too! Every little bit will make a difference.


No comments :