Tuesday, August 3, 2010

There are good people in this world

Last night, I was talking to my sister on the phone as she drove home from work. We were mid-conversation when all of a sudden she said, "Hold on a second." A man who had been driving behind her pulled up beside her and motioned for her to roll down her window. She did and he simply said, "Thank you so much for your sacrifice."

She has a bumper sticker on the back of her car that reads, "Half my heart is in Iraq." The number of people who see that bumper sticker in any given day is great. But this man took 20 seconds to acknowledge not just her husband's sacrifice serving in Iraq, but her sacrifice.

I hung up the phone with her and this man had me in tears. Yes, I'm a little hormonal, but there are good people in this world still. That is so incredibly reassuring. Being pregnant, one of the things I think about often is the world we are bringing this child into. It's certainly not the same place I grew up in. Honestly, it's a scary time we live in and I worry about how difficult it will be for our child to navigate this world. But people like my sister, and her husband, and this random man reassure me.

So thank you, random man, for restoring my faith that there are good people in this world.

1 comment :

Sonya said...

I love it when people acknowledge stuff like that rather than going on a tangent about what they think about us being over there! It truly is a sacrifice not only for the soldier but the people who love them that are left at home!