Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Texas Caviar

I had Texas Caviar for the first time last summer and I fell in love! Since then, it makes a regular appearance in our house. It makes a huge batch, but we love it so much that it is usually gone in 2 or 3 days. We eat it like salsa with some blue corn tortilla chips. It's great as a snack and I've even been know to eat a big bowl for lunch! It would be great to bring to a BBQ like that. I've also heard that some people spoon it over some salad greens or even onto a baked potato.


Since we love it so much, I thought I'd share the recipe with all of you, so you can enjoy it too!

Texas Caviar
1 (15 oz) can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ c. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
4-6 oz Italian dressing- I use Wishbone, but you can use one you like or make yourself.

Combine all ingredients except Italian dressing. Mix well. Pour dressing over mixture. Cover and marinate at least 2 hours in refrigerator. Stir again before serving. Enjoy!

No comments :