Saturday, December 6, 2008

What would you do if you won the lottery??

I read something recently that posed the question, "What would you spend the money on if you won the lottery?" First of all, I'm too cheap to play the lottery, so me winning is highly unlikely! However, I thought it was interesting to think about.

I think the first thing you have to do is assume we're talking about a large amount of money. I mean, I think we're talking millions. Because you can technically win the lottery by winning $5 on a scratch ticket and no one would really be interested in what you did with $5.

So, somehow, miraculously, I won the lottery by not playing because I'm too cheap to waste my money! *hahaha* YESSSSS!! This is what I think I would do with it.

  • First, because I'm anal about money, I would probably figure out how much I would have to pay in taxes on the total I won. I would put that much in an account so I wouldn't have to worry about spending too much and having that money when the time comes to pay Uncle Sam.
  • Second, I would pay off all of our student loans! And my sister's too!
  • THEN I WOULD BUY A HOUSE!
Those 3 things instantly came to my mind. After that, I had a more difficult time. I would definitely donate some to charity, but I would probably do a lot of research first to decide which one. I would probably take my parents on a nice vacation because they have done SO MUCH for us over the years and have taken us on so many vacations! But I think the majority of what was left would probably go in the bank. *hahaha* Boring, I know! But I'm a saver! Nothing makes me happier than a little financial security. (Which by the way, happens to be a good thing considering our current situation! You never know when you might need it!)

So, if you won the lottery big, what would you do with it?

No comments :