Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WOW!

Let me just start by saying that I have never been all that interested in politics. It never seemed to affect me directly. This election was slightly different. Though I still wasn't interested in all the "politics," I was very interested in the issues facing our country and what the candidates proposed to do about those issues. Maybe it is because this is the first presidential election where I have been immersed in "the real world" as an adult, or maybe it's because this country seems to me to be falling apart. Maybe it is a little bit of both.

It is unbelievable to me the amount of pride and elation I am feeling this morning! It has literally brought me to tears several times. It is an indescribable feeling. We have witnessed and participated in something historic. Everything seems new today. There is so much hope. I am filled and overwhelmed with emotions of all kinds.

During both speeches, I was crying. I think it was the best speech John McCain has EVER given. His graciousness and emphasis on unity touched me. And Barack Obama...no words really describe his speech. The issues completely aside, he is what the country needs to heal, to reunite and to move forward. Yes we can! I have never been more proud and hopeful than I was listening to his words.

What I hope now, is that people, Democrats and Republicans, will support him in his presidency and realize that he has 8 years worth of problems to fix. Nothing he does is going to show instantaneous results. It will take a lot of work and all of our support. Throughout his campaign, Obama never promised policies, but he did promise to do his best. We must realize that even though he will hold the most important job in the world, he cannot make changes on his own. That is one of the great things about our country and democracy! We must acknowledge that and stand behind him. We must STAY involved! The number of people who turned out to vote was inspiring. But this is just the beginning. We have to tell our representitives what we feel and what we want. They represent us and we must encourage them to support President Obama in his efforts to make these changes.

It's an amazing day. The start to something historic that will affect us all. I am filled with hope.

No comments :