Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Back to basics

Last week, I was doing some reading about how to improve my chances of actually getting my resume looked at in the piles and piles of others employers are receiving. With all the technology out there, many people looking for jobs are taking the technology route. One article I read suggested getting back to basics by printing and mailing in your resume and cover letter when possible. They said that there was something about mail and a few pieces of paper that was more concrete than an inbox full of emails with attachments to print out. I've tried a lot of the technology routes and haven't had much luck, so I figured it was worth a shot!

It really got me thinking though. I spend so much of my time online. I do love the blogger world that I have become involved in, but some days I'm on the computer all day long. So I decided to cut out technology all together this past weekend and it felt really good.

Now don't worry, I'm not leaving you! But don't be surprised if I'm not around quite as much as I have been. I have a few projects I'm working on. Some of them I'm not quite ready to share with the world yet, but there is one that I thought I'd share with you.

In August of 2005, when I moved to South Carolina with my then boyfriend (now hubby), I started knitting an afghan. I got caught up in life, not to mention babies were being born and I would put it aside to knit baby blankets. Fast forward to last week, almost 4 years later, and it was still only about 1/4 done! lol So I am working on finishing this afghan!


I still have quite a bit to go, but it is so rewarding to spend some time doing something with my hands that produces an actual physical result. It really allows you to clear your head and focus in on what's really important. I've also found that it's helping me feel more creative and inspired in terms of my photography course. So that's one of the projects I'm working on. I may be sharing some of my other new projects with you soon too, but we'll see!

So my question to you all today is this:

What do you do to escape technology and get back to basics?

Really looking forward to your responses! :)



4 comments :

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I run. Nothing gets me back like running, and just taking in the view around me. I also like to make piles of sticks. Don't ask.
I love your afghan!

Katrina said...

Your afghan looks beautiful!

I scrapbook and quilt--although lately-- much more scrapbooking than quilting!

Tricia Nugen said...

I take pictures and read. I love to read. This year I have read so many books. It takes me to another place.
Happy bloggy break! I totally understand.

GodseySix said...

Wow! Well...um...technology *is* my escape! I may be in trouble. :)

Actually, I love sports. I think a big stress reliever for me is playing volleyball. (Then I hurry home so I can blog about it. LOL!)

Enjoy your break from technology. Just don't take an extended break...I enjoy reading your blog! ;)